Show newer

I cannot stress enough how important it is to understand that Apple, Google, or Amazon can simply _decide_ to remove access to anything you've "purchased", including many physical goods (if they are internet-connected and running proprietary software), and you have absolutely no recourse.

Show thread

The general prohibition sign over a glass slipper with the words "no biometric surveillance by government or corporate agencies"

Of course Elsevier's "enhanced pdf viewer" tracks where you click, view, if you hide the page, etc. and then transmits a big base64 blob of events along with ID from University proxy when you leave. I'm sure straight to SciVal for sale.
Is this the way we want science to work?

Further and deeper into the "NFTs are fundamentally for grifting and money launding" well we find this dataset, showing that 10% of NFT traders have traded 97% of all NFTs, accounting for at least 85% of all trades to said NFTs.

10% of all buyer-seller groups have the same volume as the remaining 90%.

NFTs are almost entirely valued by wash trading, and they don't even try and hide it.

Data available here: osf.io/xnj3k/?view_only=319a53

Just saw a published paper with a reference to an URL that had been mangled by Outlook.

The once-monthly ritual of figuring out how the system for reporting working hours operates.

Which philosopher categorically rejects automation? 

I'm manual Kant.

This looks like useful Product Warning material that should be prominently displayed in the Licence Agreements of all cloud services.

Especially if you don't live in the USA.

therecord.media/fbi-document-s

The Not Replying To The Whole Email List Challenge 2021 Edition.

Them: You should use this framework, it's really easy to use!

Me, looking them in the eyes, while typing "<!DOCTYPE html>" into a text editor: This worked 15 years ago, it should work now too...

Show thread

My partner is a web developer and whenever she sees something I've done in HTML or CSS she suffers because real developers haven't used those patterns in decades anymore.

I guess the recommendation to listen to an episode I already listened to is even worse.

Show thread

My email client shows user agents. I don't need that information, but I haven't figured out how to turn it off because it's sometimes fun to see email being sent from email.php or something.

Goddammit, Spotify. I listened to one podcast. It doesn't mean I want to hear Jordan Peterson ramble.

Oh, didn't realise automated deletions were added to Mastodon. Great that we don't have to rely on external services anymore.

Apparently our publication system doesn't actually support HTML format after all and I might have to write that part myself. :ohno:

The power light on my 7 year old work MacBook has gone out, but it still works. Hang in there buddy!

Show older
Scholar Social

Scholar Social is a microblogging platform for researchers, grad students, librarians, archivists, undergrads, academically inclined high schoolers, educators of all levels, journal editors, research assistants, professors, administratorsβ€”anyone involved in academia who is willing to engage with others respectfully.