1) Ethical limits on law enforcement. Should all good laws be enforced? Should all important criminal laws be enforced with prison?
2) Economic civil disobedience and the ethics of obeying the law. When, if ever, is it OK to treat fines as a cost of doing business?
3) Transactional justice. Consent is not always enough to make an economic transaction ethical. What else is needed?
Good morning 🌞
Bullying PSA Show more
I believe communities should do more to support people who have been bullied and help them trust others again; and a big component of that is acknowledging their experiences as legitimate, and the bullying as wrong and undeserved.
What kind of people will there be needed on mars? I'm asking as a student who's about to make the jump to university and really wants to end up in space. thanks in advance?
birdsite, being positive about reading classic books Show more
RT @[email protected] When someone hasn't read a classic book, I always try to say "Oh! What a treat you have ahead of you!" rather than "I can't believe you haven't read this!" because no one wants to be shamed into reading.
We should lead with our delight in literature, not our pretentiousness.
"A major function of prefrontal cortex is learning to predict likely prediction errors."
Starting around 29:30, this talk is the first time I've seen someone take notice of my work!
I'm a data scientist and author. I think a lot about what we can and can't learn from data.
Some questions I'm interested in:
1) How do our definitions (of customers, of behaviors, of citizens) shape the kinds of decisions we make?
2) How does data analysis mediate power as the world becomes more digitized?
3) How do statistical techniques shape the bounds of rationality? What can we understand that we couldn't understand before?
For members of scholar.social who are tired of trying to get to Google Scholar because of autocomplete, if you make DuckDuckGo your browser's default search engine, you can use !bangs to search there directly
So the following would search for "sunitinib" on Google Scholar:
Or even the FDA: