This is a general-purpose federated Mastodon instance. You may use it as a personal account, but the focus is on academics. This is supposed to be "A Mastodon profile you can be proud to put on the last slide of a presentation at a conference." :)
Real names and credentials are recommended for networking purposes but are absolutely not required.
- Brag about your publications
- Share references and resources
- Network with other academics
- Recruit participants for academic surveys—formal, IRB-approved ones or even informal ones (just make sure to CW them and don't get too obnoxious about it)
- Add descriptions to images and video that you post to aid in accessibility
- Add CW's (content warnings) to your posts. CW's should be applied to: strong language, rants, selfies, politics, mentions of death or violence, references or links to Facebook/Twitter/other big tech companies, spoilers of TV shows, etc. We're academics! We love meta-data!
- There is higher expectations in terms of CW's applied to posts on the Local Timeline (i.e. ones posted as "Public") as opposed to "Unlisted" posts that only a user's own followers see. I won't say that every post on the Local Timeline should be CW'd, but if there is doubt whether a prospective reader of your posts might want to choose for themselves whether or not they read it, please err on the side of applying a CW.
- Make use of the built-in privacy settings—post "on-topic" stuff as Public and try to post "off-topic" stuff as Unlisted or Private. (We have a pretty broad conception of what counts as on- and off-topic, as the theme of the instance is academia or just learning generally—again, CW's cover a multitude of sins!)
- It is also recommended to use the "Unlisted" privacy setting for follow-ups in a long thread of posts, rather than posting the whole thread as "Public," so that only the first post appears on the Local Timeline.
Full terms of service and list of blocked domains
- Post anything that could be described as "spam"
- Post shortened links (e.g. bit.ly or t.co—we have 500 characters; you can let us all know what we're clicking, thanks!)
- Racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, etc. (will result in a permanent ban, you may not receive a prior warning)
- Impersonate other people
- Harass other people
- Demand that someone asking for some sort of accommodation justify themselves. E.g. if someone asks for you to add a CW to a post, answer with "I'll do that next time, thanks!" rather than "Why do you need me to do that?"—you may not understand another person's needs, but please try to make our instance welcoming for everyone just the same!
- No bots please; Scholar Social is for people
- Accounts that automatically repeat a Twitter account, RSS feed, etc. must post to Scholar Social as Unlisted, not Public